Following recent attacks by Boko Haram and Islamic State West African Province terrorists, the Nigerian Army has warned of more ambush attacks on soldiers in the North-East.
In an internal memo sent to commanders, the army urged soldiers to be more careful of movement around the area stating that the terrorists are planning more attacks along the Maiduguri-Monguno road.
It also stated that information operations of the terrorists had doubled with the integration of Islamic State West African Province.
Also, it urged the members of the Joint Task Force Operation Hadin Kai to conduct fire operations and neutralise terrorist positions purportedly at Kukawa Primary School and Gudumbali in the Kukawa and Guzamala local government areas of the state.
The memo obtained by SaharaReporters reads, “On 19 Sep 21, AMAQ-terrorists media wing released images of ambush on troops of 242Recce Bn at BURIMARI Village, Jigalta Ward of Nganzai LGA. The images show gory footage of KIA and items taken by the terrorists. Please viewer’s discretion is advised. (Please find attached pictures).
“Information Ops by terrorists has redoubled by ISWAP. Any misleading effort is being taken by the terrorist group to maintain status quo within the helms of propaganda used to encourage youths of the factions course. ISWAP elements need to pay dearly for this.
“It is believed that the terrorists are planning more ambush Ops using command IED lanes/small gun attacks on MSR Maiduguri-Monguno.
“It is advised that AI/fire missions are conducted by JTF OpHK to neutralise terrorist positions which are suggested to be based at Kukawa Primary School and Gudumbali in Kukawa and Guzamala local government areas respectively.
“It is important that troops of Sector 3 initiate robust clearance and fighting patrols dominate the MSR to dismantle ISWAP attack approaches.
“Troops should be urged to be cautious of IED lanes whenever moving. Period movements should be aided by AC OpHK CAS or surveillance miniature drones to D³ terrorist elements.”
The warning trails last week’s attack on military personnel in Borno.
On Thursday, a yet-to-be-confirmed number of soldiers were killed and several others missing after an ambush by militants from the Islamic State-backed faction of Boko Haram, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), formerly known as Jamā’at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-Da’wah wa’l-Jihād in Borno State.
SaharaReporters gathered that the attack took place in Monguno on Thursday.
— Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) September 21, 2021
Monguno is over 100km north of Maiduguri, the state capital and hosts thousands of Internally Displaced Persons, mostly from Dikwa and Marte council areas.
“We lost so many soldiers during the attack that lasted for many hours. May their souls rest in peace,” a military source told SaharaReporters.
The source added that military vehicles, several weapons and ammunition were stolen during the attack.
Also, on September 15, at least six soldiers of the Nigerian Army were confirmed injured during an encounter with members of the Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP).
Sources familiar with the situation said the army troops were on clearance patrol on Wednesday morning around Burimari village of Ngazai Local Government of Borno State when the soldiers were injured.
The six soldiers were subsequently transferred to Forward Operation Base in Gajiran town.
Boko Haram and its offshoot, Islamic State West Africa Province, have killed thousands and displaced millions in northeastern Nigeria.
The Nigerian military has repeatedly claimed that the insurgency has been largely defeated and frequently underplays any losses.
In the past months, soldiers have been targeted by the insurgents.